Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd. is an integral part of the Canadian forest products industry, providing the North-West, Alberta region with approximately 300 jobs while sustainably managing the forests. A career at Mercer Peace River offers an opportunity for growth, meaningful work and a collaborative learning environment. Throughout your career you will be supported by a team of highly skilled professionals and provided the self-motivating environment needed to make your goals achievable.
We are seeking a full-time, permanent Health and Safety Coordinator within the Health & Safety Resources Department. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading a team of Safety Loss Control Technicians, and will direct the day to day activities of the front office and will be responsible for the training schedule of Emergency Response Teams (ERT).
Role and Responsibilities
- Promote a Health and Safety culture of continuous improvement and safety accountability.
- Manage and direct the Safety Loss Control Technicians and the Health and Safety Assistant, this includes team member training and performance management.
- Ensure policies and procedures are in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and other relevant workplace legislation.
- Lead a culture of safety through collaboration and interactions with health and safety committees, Emergency Response Teams and team member safety education.
- Provide health and safety expertise to support the front line leadership, contractor representatives, and individual team members.
- Coordinate maintenance and inspections of equipment designed to protect life and health.
- Coordinate training activities for the Emergency Response Teams to ensure all Safety Loss Control Technicians are compliant in regards to their teams ERT training requirements.
- Mentor the Safety Loss Control Technicians and the Health and Safety Assistant on tasks, goals, performance and training standards.
- Assist in reviewing, developing, and implementing incident investigation methodology including data analysis, preventative measures, and controls.
- Additional duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completed High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Current Advanced First Aid certification, with five (5) years of directly related experience in an industrial setting or large scale operation.
- Emergency Response Training will be considered an asset.
- Completion of Occupational Health and Safety Certificate will be considered an asset.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, Outlook, Publisher and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge and experience working with work order systems will be considered an asset.
- Strong critical thinking skills, with the ability to problem solve.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with excellent presentation skills and the ability to engage diverse audiences.