Date Posted: November 05, 2019
Job Location: Peace River
Job Number: CN 1973
Job Type: Full Time
Start: November 05, 2019
Company: Mercer Peace River
Address: Postal Bag 4400 Pulp Mill Site, Peace River, Alberta, Canada T8S 1V7
Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd. is an integral part of the Canadian forest products industry, providing the North-West, Alberta region with approximately 300 jobs while sustainably managing the forests. A career at Mercer Peace River offers an opportunity for growth, meaningful work and a collaborative learning environment. Throughout your career you will be supported by a team of highly skilled professionals and provided the self-motivating environment needed to make your goals achievable.
We are seeking a full-time, permanent Machinist to join our Maintenance Department. In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the machining, and repair of mill equipment. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, have a strong work ethic, and be a team player.
Role and Responsibilities
- Machining, repair and troubleshoot machinery, mechanical, and pressure equipment.
- Competent in reading and understanding technical documents including drawings, schematics, and service manuals.
- Complete hazard assessments to ensure work is executed in a safe fashion.
- Development, improvement, and adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
- Entry of work requests for initiation of work to be conducted.
- Closure of work orders with descriptive detail of actual work performed.
- Steady progression towards achieving the highest level of tech progression within the department.
- Awareness and adherence to MPR policies and procedures.
- Compliance to MPR core values.
- Assist with hiring of departmental personnel.
- Available for lead technician coverage when appropriate.
- Shift coverage and SWAT (Scheduled Weekend Coverage and call-ins as required)
- Additional duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
Candidate must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent. Must be an Alberta or Interprovincial Red Seal Certified Machinist, with a minimum of 5 years experience.
Candidates should also have:
- Mechanical aptitude with strong troubleshooting abilities.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Preparation and organizational skills, able to effectively plan and execute assigned work.
- Strong understanding of workplace safety, being a leader in safety awareness and positive mentor to peers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of the influence maintenance has to other departments within the mill.
- Pulp Mill and Industrial maintenance experience preferred.
- Background in preventative maintenance practices will be considered an asset.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and a computerized maintenance management system is considered an asset.