Date Posted: January 10, 2022
Job Location: Peace River
Job Number: CN 2202
Job Type: Seasonal
Start: January 10, 2022
Company: Mercer Peace River
Address: Postal Bag 4400 Pulp Mill Site, Peace River, Alberta, Canada T8S 1V7
Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd. is an integral part of the Canadian forest products industry, providing the North-West, Alberta region with approximately 300 jobs while sustainably managing the forests. A career at Mercer Peace River offers an opportunity for growth, meaningful work and a collaborative learning environment. Throughout your career you will be supported by a team of highly skilled professionals and provided the self-motivating environment needed to make your goals achievable.
We have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join our Woodlands Department in a 4-month summer student position. The expected term of this employment will be from May-August 31, 2022.
As part of the Woodlands Team, your responsibilities will be to:
- Complete environmental health and safety inspections and reporting
- Supervise and monitor the quality control of various woodlands contractors (silviculture, block layout, road construction)
- Various block planning duties (including recon, layout and watercourse classification)
- Other forestry-related activities as required, such as weed inspections, data entry, watercrossing structure inspections, GPS data collection, growth & yield measurements etc.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Individuals should be currently enrolled in or have recently graduated from a forestry-related post-secondary program
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and able to work effectively in a team environment with minimal supervision
- Have a strong commitment to quality, safety and environmental performance is essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs, Google and GPS/ GIS systems
- A valid class 5 driver’s license