Date Posted: January 10, 2022
Job Location: Peace River
Job Number: CN 2204
Job Type: Full Time
Start: January 10, 2022
Company: Mercer Peace River
Address: Postal Bag 4400 Pulp Mill Site, Peace River, Alberta, Canada T8S 1V7
At Mercer International Inc., our vision to be exceptional people creating bio-products for a more sustainable world is being realized every day. We are a diversified global producer of forest products, bio-products, and green electricity with operations in Canada, Germany, Australia, and the United States. We have a consolidated annual production capacity of approximately 2.2 million tonnes of kraft pulp and 550 million board feet of softwood lumber.
We believe that a culture of diversity and inclusion is critical in making the best decisions for our people and achieving sustainable business success. Together, we encourage, support, and celebrate the diverse voices of our employees and strive to provide an inclusive culture by fostering an environment of mutual respect, fairness, and by providing opportunities to contribute and grow.
Our Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd. facility has an opportunity for a motivated individual to fill the position of Land Management Supervisor within our Woodlands Department. Reporting to the Land Management Superintendent, you will be responsible for providing assistance in the development of strategic land management initiatives, participating in research programs and coordinating MPR’s land use program.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist in the development of strategic management plans, evaluations and analyses, and the assessment of policies and regulations
- Champion the development and transfer of innovative approaches to sustainable forest management including ecosystem-based management, mixed-wood management, species conservation, wildlife habitat management, etc.
- Coordinate the day-to-day operation of MPR’s land use program
- Promotion of MPR’s stewardship, innovations, and collaborative spirit with stakeholders through a variety of communication avenues including MPR’s Public Advisory Committee, meetings, tours, forest stewardship reporting, and the development of communication materials
- Additional duties, as required
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree or diploma in forestry, environmental sciences, or related field
- Registration as a Registered Professional Forester or Registered Professional Forestry Technologist, or the ability to do so within twelve months
- Team player with excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to manage and prioritize projects
- Proficient writing skills for completion of high-quality technical reports and presentations to a broad array of audiences
- Experience working with GIS and a sound understanding of forestry and ecosystem concepts
- Must possess a valid Alberta Class 5 Operators license
Why Work for Us?
- Flexible work schedule with a 4 - day work week (7:00 a.m-5:00 p.m)
- Competitive compensation, health and dental benefits and a 100% company-sponsored defined benefit pension plan with matching RRSP
- Relocation assistance for non-local applicants