DATE: June 8, 2022
JOB NUMBER: 2022-04
HYBRID WORK: Yes
LOCATION: Mill Site (Athabasca)
Who are we?
Al-Pac is the largest single-line kraft pulp producer in North America. We strive to be leaders in what we do, from our quality products, mill operations and responsible forest management practices, to the way we grow and develop our team members, and work with local communities. We are continuously investigating in new and innovative ideas, while delivering premium products with a commitment to strong environmental stewardship and corporate social responsibility – a commitment demonstrated by our long-standing Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certification*.
We understand work is just one part of your life, and we strive to ensure our team members have a healthy work-life balance. We offer a compressed work week schedule, as well as a generous time-off policy starting with four weeks of vacation allowance.
Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac) is seeking a Field Forester and is responsible for the delivery of logs to the mill, coordinating logging, hauling, road construction, road maintenance, reclamation activities, and associated contract management.
• Operations Management – Managing a significant operational area, delivering quality logs to the mill and ensuring that operations are efficient.
• Project Planning, Risk & Issue Management – Logging, hauling, road construction, road maintenance, reclamation activities, and associated contract management. Assisting managing capital road construction and road maintenance upgrades.
• Inspections – Providing technical support to inspections of the quality of the harvesting production, road and drainage structures, log quality and reclamation in accordance with organizational standards and regulatory requirements.
• Stakeholder & Community Engagement – Liaising with AAF to obtain plan approvals and meet legislative requirements. Working with stakeholders and First Nations to obtain economic opportunities and promoting local aboriginal initiatives.
• Budgeting – Delivering cost expectations while supporting safety, quality, production, community and environmental objectives. Preparing and reporting variance to budgets and quarterly.
• University Degree or Technical Diploma in Forestry with 3-7 years of work experience.
• Active Registered Professional Forester (RPF), or eligible for Alberta certification.
• Comprehensive job-related experience to fully competent level.
• Proven track record of supervisory experience in forestry operations including road construction, harvesting and transportation.
• Experience in planning, GIS mapping and road engineering.
• Knowledge of Provincial / Federal legislation relating to water acts, dispositions.
• Al-Pac has a large Forest Management Area (FMA), which demands frequent travel on variable road conditions.
• Overnight stays may be required at fully serviced camps or hotels, depending on where operations are active within the FMA.
What we offer:
• This is a Permanent position
• You will work out of our Mill Site (Near Athabasca)
• Your working schedule is Monday-Thursday, 7am to 5pm. (Position may require some work outside of these hours)
• A competitive annual salary including paid pension and matching RRSP program, 4-week’s annual vacation, company paid dental and extended health benefits, and many additional employee incentives.
• A team-based culture that encourages work life balance.
• We will provide a company truck or you will be compensated for using your personal vehicle.
• Relocation assistance is available for those who need to move into the local area.
Covid19 Vaccine/Booster required