DATE: January 24rd, 2023
JOB NUMBER: 2023-10
HYBRID WORK: Non-Eligible
POSITION TYPE: Casual
LOCATION: Athabasca, Alberta
Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac) is seeking a Casual Health, Safety and Security Technician in Athabasca, Alberta. The successful candidate will report to the Health, Safety and Security team lead and will be responsible for providing medical and technical support to the organization. This position will respond to emergencies, lead/participate in investigations, conduct various testing, provide safety orientation and conduct security duties for team members and contractors.
Who are we?
Al-Pac is the largest single-line kraft pulp producer in North America. Our mill is located near the communities of Athabasca, Boyle & Lac La Biche. We are leaders in our industry, from our quality products, mill operations and responsible forest management practices, to the way we grow and develop our team members and work with local communities. We are continuously exploring new and innovative ideas, while delivering premium products with a commitment to strong environmental stewardship and corporate social responsibility – a commitment that is demonstrated by our long-standing Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certification*.
• Health & Safety Compliance: Interact daily with team members and contractors to ensure compliance. Participate in Emergency Response as a shift leader on the mill emergency response team. Monitor fire systems and perform first aid care as needed.
• Investigation & Inspection: Lead and participate in incident / accident investigations. Provide expertise on hazard recognition and assist/coach others with performing field level hazard assessments.
• Testing: Administer pre-employment drug screen testing and post-incident and drug and alcohol testing. Conduct routine medical assessment. Assist with occupational hygiene compliance testing within the mill, including but not limited to gas detection, mask fit testing and hazard assessments.
• Security: Participate in activities to ensure the physical security of the mill site.
• Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP), Primary Care Paramedic (PCP), or Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) licensed with the Alberta College of Paramedics.
• Candidates with current Advanced First Aid (AFA) certificate or a Registered Nurse (RN) with the College of Registered Nurses of Alberta may also be considered.
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
• Strong computer skills.
• Considered an asset:
o Firefighting experience.
o Technical Rescue experience.
o Hazardous Materials experience.
o Security experience.
o Experience working in an industrial setting.
What we offer:
• A competitive hourly salary.
• A team-based culture that encourages work-life balance.
Please note our current opportunities are open to applicants for a limited time, resumes can be forwarded in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful external applicants must provide government issued proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be requested upon acceptance of an offer of employment. Please note that for Alberta residents, only the government issued QR code is accepted as proof of vaccination.
Al-Pac is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to express our thanks to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.