In 1905 Emerson Lumber was built by J.S. Emerson on leased waterfront property in Port Moody east of the Canadian Pacific Lumber Company’s Port Moody mill. The mill office was located near Rocky Point Park in Port Moody and cut western red cedar lumber and shingles exclusively.
On October 1st, 1912 the mill was purchased by Robert Thurston and Aird Flavelle and renamed the Thurston-Flavelle Mill. Flavelle Sawmill Company Ltd. was established and incorporated in 1931. In 1955 the mill was sold to Canadian Collieries Ltd. but was still called Flavelle Cedar. Weldwood of Canada Ltd. purchased the mill in 1964 and Flavelle Cedar became a division of Weldwood of Canada. In 1966 the production of shingles and shakes was discontinued. The mill changed hands again in 1995 when International Forest Products (Interfor) bought Weldwood of Canada Ltd. and Flavelle Cedar. The mill was modernized in 1995 with a major rebuild. In 1998 Flavelle Cedar closed but was reopened in 2000 when it was purchased by Mill and Timber. The mill located at 2400 Murray Street is still known as Flavelle Cedar.
Materials incoming: raw logs
Transport of incoming: ocean (boom) & truck
Material outgoing: finished lumber
Transport of outgoing: truck & railcar