We are looking for a Sawmill Production Supervisor at our Nairn Centre location in Ontario.
Reporting to the Sawmill Superintendent, the Sawmill Supervisor will be responsible for direct supervision and monitoring of Sawmill production employees, procedures, and objectives.
The incumbent will also be expected to lead improvements in safety, productivity, and quality in the sawmill department.
• Continually monitor and accommodate the mix of primary resources of wood, manpower and machinery to ensure optimum value and quality.
• Prepare and present production reports and analysis for production follow-up (shift reports, time sheets, manning).
• Monitor machinery and equipment performance and report any mechanical deficiencies to maintenance personnel.
• Assist in maintenance prioritization and planning activities to minimize downtime and enhance inter-departmental communication and coordination of activities.
• Make recommendations concerning modifications to existing equipment or processes and/or the acquisition or disposition of physical assets to maximize production results.
• Monitor and follow-up on pre-determined performance indicators (health and safety frequency, fiber consumption, transformation costs, hourly productivity, product quality, on-time delivery).
• Lead and motivate the workforce in executing all activities directed towards a safe, productive, and efficient sawmill operation.
• Collaborate with log yard operations to maximize operation results and ensure standards are met. (safety, productivity, quality and costs).
• Collaborate with planer department and other departments to ensure quality requirements of the mill are met and exceeded.
• Identify and develop employees through the use of training and other tools.
• Identify and recommend long term changes to production targets, products and flow.
• Engage personnel and solve interpersonal issues that could arise within the department. Is responsible for the performance evaluation process with Sawmill production employees.
• Ensure that safety issues/concerns (addressed through workplace inspections and monthly Safety Contacts) are adequately addressed and that any issues requiring follow-up are attended to in a timely manner.
• Ensure that all environmental, safety, and other regulations, both company and governmental, are followed.
• Demonstrate Mobilizing leadership.
• Result-Oriented and Team player.
• Good organizational and Time management skills.
• Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
• Good communication and coaching skills.
• Strong ethic, integrity, and judgment.
• Post Secondary diploma or collegial degree in wood products or forestry field with at least 3 years of experience as Sawmill Supervisor.
• Experience in managing a team of Operational Technicians and General Labourers in a unionized environment.
• Strong experience in employee performance management
• Knowledge of continuous improvement principles of Sawmill operation.
• Proven Health and Safety accountability and sound knowledge of occupational health and safety.
• Knowledgeable in lumber manufacturing including equipment, processes, and products.
• Must be fluent in both written and spoken English; French is an asset.
• Knowledgeable in the areas of electrical, mechanical, fabrication/welding and PLC programming is an asset.
• Advanced computer skills, usage of integrated Sawmill production systems.